Joshua C. Forest
Highly motivated professional with a strong background in Devops and UNIX administration seeking a full-time position.
Python, Ruby, PHP, Perl, Shell Scripting, Java, C++
Docker, Saltstack, Chef, Puppet, Corosync, Pacemaker, Postfix, Mailman, Apache, Nginx, Samba, Tomcat 6.0/5.5.x, Varnish, Apple OpenDirectory, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Pound webproxy, Sendmail, BIND, SunONE Java Webserver and LDAP, Weblogic
Centos 5/6, Amazon Web Services, Ubuntu Server, VMware ESXi, Redhat Enterprise Linux 5/6, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris 8/9/10, Windows 2000/XP/7
PLIDA A2 Level Certified
Development Operations Engineer,
Cashstar, Inc Portland, ME January 2014-Present
Member of a two person Operations team focused on operations automation.
- Migrated off of rackspace to AWS for all environments in our highly available, multi-region architecture. Saving the company 50% on monthly hosting charges, and gaining immensely in our ability to execute quickly.
- Built out a new jenkins infrastructure to use for all builds within the company. Increasing our speed and ability to test quickly.
- Used Docker within our jenkins infrastructure to continually test out all of our salt states across three different operating system versions to ensure they work properly.
Senior Systems Engineer,
HERE, a Nokia business Burlington, MA May 2012-December 2013
Member of a small and dynamic DevOps team within Nokia delivering high quality operations automation, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Developed a ruby based API to create cloudformation templates with little or no fuss for use in spinning up infrastructures on AWS, named SIF.
- Designed an automated workflow to use chef-solo to build and deploy products on AWS that were spun up using SIF.
- Quickly ramped up to speed on the home grown local cloud offering within Nokia, and took ownership of all aspects of two production web application environments. Including 24/7 support.
- Lead the way within the team on our migration to using AWS for future web application environments.
- Designed and coded a set of custom AWS tools that tied into our Chef instances for use within our group to deploy environments on AWS quickly, uniformly, and with minimal effort.
Senior UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator,
Harvard Medical School Boston, MA June 2007-April 2012
Integral member of a small team dedicated to the support of the research labs based in the west quad of the Harvard Medical School campus in the Longwood Medical Area.
- Devised and implemented a configuration management system using puppet to build out all our linux servers and workstations which resulted in a far cleaner infrastructure allowing system administrators to spend more time on new projects, not on fixing poorly configured servers.
- Architected and implemented a postfix based mail and spam/virus filtering system
- Drove migration of web infrastructure from standalone servers to a virtualized infrastructure based on KVM
- Migrated multiple standalone wiki servers to one centralized wiki server based on confluence
- Wrote perl based scripts to automate creation of mailing lists on mailman from LDAP groups, creation of accounts on fileservers, creation of mailboxes on IMAP servers, nagios scripts, munin scripts, and more on an as needed basis.
- Implemented Apple OpenDirectory LDAP servers for authentication on our domain
- Built multiple new Samba fileservers that utilize the opendirectory servers for authentication; managed and completed the migration from old standalone servers
- Responsible for building, installing, and updating 30+ Linux servers
- Assisted in the deployment of an 800TB disk based backup system running OpenSolaris, ZFS, and rsnapshot
Unix Systems Engineer,
Endeca Technologies, Cambridge, MA September 2006-June 2007
Part of a two man team responsible for the 24/7/365 support of a large infrastructure ranging from customer facing demo environments, corporate web sites, and a server farm dedicated to building and testing Endeca's flagship product.
- Managed 300+ Redhat Linux and Solaris servers
- Architected and implemented a kickstart/jumpstart environment for Redhat Enterprise Linux 3/4/5 and Solaris 9/10 (sparc and x86)
- Created a new core demo environment to resolve a stability issue with the existing environment
- Assisted in the development and implementation of a migration plan from Resin to Tomcat for our application servers (in progress still when I left)
Corporate Technologies, Burlington, MA December 2004-August 2006
Member of a small team of systems engineers dedicated to solving enterprise problems and supporting their customers. Projects ranged from installation and migration of Network Appliance filers, support for solaris based customers, to training.
- Solaris 10 Certified Systems Administrator
- Sun Certified Network Administrator
- Network Appliance Certified Storage Professional
- Performed many complex Network Appliance installations and data migrations, including 802.11Q VLAN networks, trunked networks, and migrations from Data ONTAP 6.x to 7.x.
- Installed and configured many Sun Solaris 8 and 9 Servers for multiple clients.
- Primary field engineer for Corporate Technologies' Network Appliance related calls
- Implemented Microsoft Exchange on iSCSI utilizing Network Appliance as back end storage as well as integrating the exchange server into an AD environment.
UNIX Web Systems Administrator (Co-op),
Fairchild Semiconductor, Portland, ME March 2004-December 2004
- Created a plan to secure all authentications to the fairchildsemi.com website and implemented a perl script to modify URL's on over 10,000 web pages to support eSales initiative
- Primary maintainer of a cohesive environment for development, testing and production servers that encompass sixteen UNIX servers that included SunONE Java Webservers, BEA Weblogic application servers, and search engine servers (iPhrase).
- As technical lead, successfully organized and executed testing of eSales initiative.
- Designed multiple perl/CGI scripts to assist in the day-to-day activities of the content authors.
- Created and configured SSL encrypted instance of SunONE Java Webserver for a new domain.
Portland, ME August 2003-March 2004
- Tier 1 support for all computer related issues for multiple small businesses in Portland Maine
Intel Corporation, Hudson, MA
- Facilitated troubleshooting on a production machine increasing the uptime from 58% to 90% as a member of a high profile cross-site, cross-company team.
- Originated and lead a team that successfully troubleshot and found the root cause of a downward thickness trend in one of the production machines, saving a $20,000 heaterblock.
Equipment Engineering and Process Engineering Co-ops,
National Semiconductor and Fairchild Semiconductor Portland, ME Summer, 1999 and 2000
Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering,
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2000